|Seen in flower at Glengariff Woods, |
Co. Cork, Republic of Ireland
New Year Plant Hunt 2015
Image: C. Heardman
For the fifth year running you are cordially invited to join in our BSBI New Year Plant Hunt. The aim is to record as many wild species flowering as you can in up to three hours over the New Year period.
The rules are simple to try to keep data comparable between different areas and over different years:
1. Pick one day over the New Year weekend between Friday 1st and Monday 4th January 2016, when the weather is decent enough to record in.
|Gorse & Sea Campion flowering on Anglesey|
during the New Year Plant Hunt 2015
Image: I. Rees
3. Record for up to 3 hours (you can “stop the clock” for tea-breaks and comfort stops!)
4. Send us details of what you saw with photos if possible please: tell us which species you recorded (we can help with identification if you are stuck!), what your name is, and where and when you saw the plants in flower. You can:
- email a list to Ryan and Louise at email@example.com
- post your finds on the BSBI Facebook page
- tweet them to us at @BSBIbotany using the hashtag #NewYearPlantHunt
|Frosted nosegay from Leics., where |
bad weather halved our 2014 total
Image: J. Clough
If you'd like to find out more about last year’s New Year Plant Hunt, check out the presentation Ryan gave at this year's BSBI Exhibition Meeting here and the two NYPH posters we exhibited.
You can also read some of the posts from last year's New Year Plant Hunt like this one and this one, see some of the media coverage we achieved last year here and check out the 2015 results here.