|Swallowtail on its main food plant|
Image: A. Hunter
But what, you are wondering, does this have to do with the great giveaway we are offering? Well, we are celebrating a new close relationship between the BSBI and Greenwings Wildlife Holidays, who have recently joined the growing list of BSBI's corporate supporters - they will be donating 10% of the proceeds of botanical wildlife holidays to BSBI, to help fund our research, training and outreach programmes.
and Marsh Fern
Image: A. Hunter
Greenwings already has a similar relationship with our friends at Butterfly Conservation and are specialists in moth- and butterfly-watching holidays. Understanding the need for plants that support our iconic native butterflies, they are offering one lucky BSBI follower a free space on a £100 one-day wildlife holiday.
You will join naturalist Patrick Barkham and co-leader Alice Hunter in the Norfolk Broads on 7th June to look for Swallowtails and their food plants, plus Marsh Harriers, Bearded Tits, Norfolk Hawker dragonflies, and plants including Fen Orchids and Marsh Peas. Here's a report of the last time this team visited the Broads looking for Swallowtails, to give you an idea of what to expect.
|Swallowtail on a Marsh Orchid|
Image: J. Dowding
Appetite well and truly whetted? Then here's how to enter:
1. You'll need to be on social media - either Instagram or Twitter - and you'll need to follow both BSBI and Greenwings. BSBI is on Twitter here and on Instagram here; Greenwings is on Twitter here and on Instagram here.
2. You'll need to answer this question correctly: What is the main food-plant of the Swallowtail butterfly? (Top tip: our friends at the Field Studies Council do a great fold-out guide to caterpillars of all 60 species of British and Irish butterflies, and it lists the various food plants too.)
3. You'll need to post your answer on Twitter or Instagram, tagging both BSBI and Greenwings.
The winner will be chosen at random from correct entries after the competition has closed.
Here are the Terms & Conditions:
- One entry per account. Entrants may enter on both Instagram and Twitter.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this giveaway.
- The competition will run from 12 noon (BST) on Friday 13th May to 12 noon on Monday 16th May.
- The winner will be chosen at random from received and verified entries and will be notified by Direct Message within 5 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 10 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and chose a replacement winner.
- Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- Decisions in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- The prize is as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The prize is not transferable and is subject to availability. Please note that travel costs to the holiday, entry fees to reserves, drinks and any other personal items are not included in the prize.
- Greenwings and BSBI reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of unforeseen circumstances
Good luck - we'll post the answer to the question on this News & Views blog next week.